Where To Begin When Decorating Your TownhomeJuly 20, 2018
Congrats! You’ve found a townhome in central Arkansas with the help of Apartment Hunters. Now it is time to decorate.
Here are a few tips to get you started. Your townhome will look like home in no time.
Get off to a good start.
A good start is like the title of your essay that you take so long to come up with, and now you need to take a break.
Decorating a new space is all about planning and knowing what you have to work with. Here are a few planning tips.
- Plan to clean. Your townhome might be new to you. There is a good chance it has had previous owners that didn’t have the same tidy standards you do. Clean before you do anything so you can see the space for its full potential.
- Make a list of what you have to work with. What furniture is necessary? What needs to go?
- Start unpacking in the bedroom, first. A healthy sleep schedule will keep your decorating skills sharp.
Don’t match. Find unity.
You are not a boring person. Don’t let your interior design say otherwise. The biggest mistake townhome owners make when it comes to decorating is matching decor elements. Matching colors can make a space look boring and “cookie-cutter”.
This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t find a way to bring all the pieces of your interior decor together. What does your decor have in common? They were all chosen by you. Many townhome owners interior designers are surprised to find unity with the decor pieces they already have.
Need new pieces? Here are a few tips.
- Find color-scheme inspiration in your wardrobe.
- Don’t be afraid to include old pieces with new pieces. Garage sales and flea markets are perfect for finding unique pieces.
- Find pictures of interior design that you like. Take inspiration from them — Pinterest comes in handy when you need design inspiration.
Think outside the box.
The box is created by
- your budget,
- the space your townhome has,
- necessary furniture, and
- the layout of your townhome.
You may have a limited amount of resources and space, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a beautiful townhome to invite your friends and family over to.
Here are a few ideas to help you get outside your box.
- Don’t purchase any expensive furniture for a few months. As you live in the townhome you will get a better idea of what kinds of furniture pieces will work.
- Don’t buy it unless you love it. Even if it means eating breakfast on temporary furniture for a few months, don’t settle for less.
- Add a coat of paint. Paint is the cheapest, most significant improvement you can add to your townhome.
- Replace lighting fixtures to add light or adjust ambient lighting in the rooms.